Monday, August 6, 2012

"Top Ten Hated Films That I like" Final Entry!


1- “The Star Wars Prequels (1999-2005)” – None of the films on this list are more unfairly hated and scrutinized than the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. These great films have never gotten the recognition they deserved and this is really a shame. Like the Spiderman films, I am going to list the reasons that people say that they dislike these films and give reasons why their logic is flawed. So without further ado, let’s get started.

(1) “Story not as good as the Original films”– While I will agree that the story in the original was good, it was still very flawed. George Lucas has said that he made numerous changes to the scrip as they were filming and add things that were not originally there. Examples include, Luke and Lea being siblings, Darth Vader being their father, their names were to be “Starkiller” instead “Skywalker”, and many others. This constant change of the script leads to the original story leads to unexpected twists and makes the story seem rough. By the time that the new films came along, Lucas had a clear idea of what he wanted with the series and it has a better flow to it. The story follows what was said in the original to the letter and I disagree with the people that say it doesn’t have the same feel as the original. I also enjoyed the dark tale of Anakin’s descent into evil. It is a much more interesting tale than Luke’s. I never really felt that Luke was ever in any danger of turning to the dark side this kind of killed some of the suspense for me.  On the other hand, while you know that Anakin is going to turn to evil, it’s still interesting to see what it was that drove him to take such an evil path. Most of the plot holes are easily explained and seemed to be more of a tool for nick picking than anything else.

(2) “Anakin is not how I pictured him, he actually has flaws” – I am sorry that Anakin, you turns into basically the “Lord of Darkness” may not have been the nicest guy in the world. Sure he is arrogant, hotheaded, and rebellious, but he is young in the first and second films. That is just the way people in their teens tend to act at that age. That said, he does seem much more mature in the third and kind of fits the image that Obi-wan tales to Luke in A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. He was all that Obi-Wan said, it’s just that he was manipulated by the Dark Side into joining them by using his fear of losing his love ones. I also don’t see what the problem with him mass murdering Younglings (children in training to be Jedi). What is the Dark Lord, one of the most evil people in the Galaxy, supposed to be have limits to his evil? It doesn’t work that way. He tries to have his own children killed in the Original Trilogy (he even tries to kill Luke himself on several different occasions), so why can’t anyone accept that he is more than capable of killing other kids? This also goes for when he killed everyone in the Tusken camp. Sure he was enraged by the death of his mother by them and he feels remorse after, but it shows what he is capable of.

(3) “The original lightsaber battles are better” - I have actually heard people say that they see the fights in the prequels as more dancing than actually fighting. These people are weird. The three Prequel films have some of the best sword fights ever filmed, but the original's fights just seem kind of uninteresting and stiff. I do like the dialogue and music  in both series though and they make the fights much more entertaining. I also think that the lightsaber duel in Return of the Jedi was well done I also think that the duel in The Empire Strikes Back(were Luke finds out Vader is his father) was good. It is also,most likely , the most important duel in the series for the fact that it does lead to Luke learning about his father. See, I am not saying that all the Duels in the original are bad, just that he newer films did them as good if not better in some cases.

(4) “Jar Jar Binks” – Literally the most hated character in the series. I decide to talk about him because I never saw what was so bad about him. He is racist character as some have claimed. He was played by a black man, so if he did not find him to be offence, why should everyone else. Also, he was meant to be annoying, that is the whole point of his character. He is the comic relief in an otherwise grim tale. I find in comical that people are so hard on this character, yet they hardly ever say anything bad about the Ewoks. They are the stupidest characters ever made for this series. They really expect me to believe that a fur ball can bring down a well-trained heavy armed, heavy armored soldier to be brought down by a rock thrown by a ferby? I don’t think so, yet no one brings this up. They instead bash a race of beings that actually seem plausible?

(5) “Other thoughts” - I understand that the haters grew up with the original and they are very fond of it, but the hating needs to stop, the haters are just making a fool of themselves. I grew up at the tail end of the original films, but I grew up watching them and was thrilled when I heard the new films were made. I loved those films as much as the originals and think they are as good, if not better in some cases. Both have excellent cast: Original (Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamilton) Prequel (Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, and Natalie Portman) just to name a few. I also think the special effects are ground breaking for both film trilogies.

Conclusion: I love all the Star Wars films and think they are all entertaining and well made. The hate really needs to stop and the prequels need to finally get the recognition they deserve. As long as people continue to jump on the hate ban wagon though, I am afraid that these films will never reach that day of recognition. I ask, no I implore you to give these films another chance. Forget all that you have heard about them and just see them with an open mind. I am sure that more people than not, will find these films to be excellent films.      
Well thats the end of my "Top Ten Hated films that I like" article. Hope you enjoyed it and leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment