Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Movie Review: "Underworld: Evolution”


Starring:
Kate Beckinsale as Selene
Scott Speedman as Michael
Tony Curran as Marcus

Short Story Summary: The continued story of the Death Dealer Selene.

Story: (8.5/10) I will start by saying that this movie feels like it is trying to do too much. I am not saying that it was badly written, just that it had too much going on and it could get confusing real fast. With that being said, it never got to the point where I was hopelessly lost. I was able to pull everything that was being thrown at me and put it together into something comprehensive. It does a pretty good job at filling in some of the plot that was hinted at in the first and it is a great lead up to the events of the third movie.

Character/Cast: (9/10) Once again the makers of the film has gathered an excellent cast. Kate Beckinsale is as great as ever as Selene and Scott Speedman is a lot better in the role of Michael. Their romance is further developed, but it is still not over done to point of being overbearing. Tony Curran does a fine job as this movies villain, Marcus. There are a few characters that were annoying, like Tannis, most of the other characters are descent. The acting was overall pretty good, but sometimes the actors did over act. While it does not happen often, it can jar you out of the movie and kill the suspense of the film.

Action: (10/10) While there is not as much combat as in the first film, “Evolution” still has its fair share of exciting fights. The combat no longer reminds me of style used in The Matrix. This time it seems a lot like the type used in The Terminator, especially Terminator 2. If you watch it you will know what I am talking about. There is a chase scene near the beginning of the film that seemed really similar to the type of chases seen in the Terminator films and they’re a lot of super-powered beings throwing each other around.

Music: (7/10) It was about the same as the first, so it was not bad.

Visuals: (8.5/10) The creature effects are once again really good. I have two complaints with this film in terms of visuals: too much blood and the flying creature looked fake. While the first film had its fair amount of blood, this film goes a little over board. The only thing I can figure is that they had a few tons of the red stuff left over from the first film and decided not to let it go to waste. Now on to the second complaint which is the flying creature. To me it looked so bad that it reminded me of the gargoyle thing that captured Ash’s girlfriend in Army of Darkness. I am pretty sure that I actually saw, at one point, the wires holding the actor up. It could have been my imagination, but I don’t think so. Everything else, visual wise, was fine. The movie is once again set in a kind of gothic style world like the first and it looks great. Not much else to say, overall very well done except for a few mistakes.

Conclusion: A good follow-up to the first Underworld film. I recommend seeing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment