Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Movie Review “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie”


( I tried to give an unbiased opinion about this movie, didn't happen.)

Starring: Jason David Frank as Tommy Oliver/ The White Ranger
Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Hart/ The Pink Ranger
David Yost as Billy Cranston/ The Blue Ranger
Steve Cardenas as Rocky DeSantos/ The Red Ranger
Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam Park/ The Black Ranger
Karan Ashley as Aisha Campbell/ The Yellow Ranger
Paul Freeman as Ivan Ooze

Short Story Summary: After an ancient evil is awakened, it is up to the Power Rangers to stop him.

Story: (9/10) Since some of you may not have seen the TV series by the same name, I have decide to judge this movie on its own merits. I think that the story is pretty good. It opens with scrolling text that explains who the Power Ranger are and what the situation is. This should help anyone that may have missed the series. I really doubt though that there would be that many people watching this movie that hasn’t, at least, heard of the “Rangers”. That is not to say that only fans can enjoy this film, it is overall well written and an enjoyable film to watch. I found the pacing to be very nice and I never got bored while watching this movie. I really don’t see there being any reason for non-fans not to enjoy this story.

Characters/Cast: (8.5/10) I find the cast to be really good. The actors playing the rangers are all, to me, great. I will say that their acting can sometimes be a little over the top when they are the rangers, but this, to me, adds to the charm of their characters. The one problem I have with this movie is the villain,Ivan Ooze, played by Paul Freeman. He is not a bad villain, but I kind of wish that they had kept the series’ villain, Rita Repulsa, as the main antagonist of this film. She has a minor role in this film, but she is basically just there to be the reason that Ooze get free from his prison. Before I end this part of the review, I would like to reminded you that this was made in the mid-nineties. This means that the banter between the characters, as well as their clothing and speech, may seem a little outdated for some people. For people that grew up in the nineties though, like me, it will be a nice trip back to their child.

Action: (10/10) The fights in this film are awesome. It has surprisingly good martial arts for a show that was originally meant for children and the banter from the rangers is priceless. They fight a variety of villains in this film, from tengus to Ooze’s war machines. The rangers also have a variety of weapons at their disposal that add excitement to the already great fights.

Music: (10/10) The Power Ranger’s theme alone is enough to warrant this grade. The rest of the music is really good and I cannot, in clear conscience, give this a grade less than 10 out of 10.

Visuals: (8/10) This is where the film suffers a little. The CG that is used is, while not the worst I have ever seen, is still pretty bad. The worst brunt of it is at the end, during the final fight. I wish it had been done the same way it was in the show with people in suits( think Godzilla, except with a giant robot and a random monster each episode) and left the CG out. There is also some poorly done wire work, but it’s not really done all that bad. The suits are changed a bit from the show, but they still look reallly cool. The movie has a nice variety of settings that keep the film interesting. These range from the ranger’s command center to another planet.

Conclusion: I tried to stay unbiased in this review, but I like Power Rangers so much that this was impossible for me to make it completely unbiased. All I can say is that if you find this movie interesting from what I wrote then give it a try, If not, then just past on this one. I do think that it is a must for anyone that is a Power Rangers fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment