Saturday, December 31, 2011

Movie Review “Hero”


Starring:
Jet LI as Nameless
Tony Leung as Broken Sword
Maggie Cheung as Flying Snow
Donnie Yen as Sky

Short Story summary: A nameless warrior is summoned to meet the king of the Qin State to tell the story of how he defeated three feared assassins.

(Note: I will be judging movies on five aspects: story, characters/cast, fights, music, and graphics. I will rate each from 1 to 10 and I will give a short explanation for my choice of rating.)

Story: (6/10) I don’t want to spoil any of the story, so I will be brief with this part. I felt that the story was interesting, but the way they went about telling it could have been better. Certain developments in the plot seem to come from nowhere and I can see someone getting confused real quick. Another thing that bothered me about the story was the ending. I don’t know why it bothered me, but I just didn’t like it that much. One thing that I did like about the story was the point that they were trying to get across to the viewer. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I will say that it has to do with doing what is best for the greater good.

Characters/Cast(8/10) The cast and the characters they played were all top-notch. Jet LI does well as Nameless and believe that this is one of the most complex characters he has played. His character’s ambitions changes several times throughout the movie and the transitions are believable. Donnie Yen is as great as ever as Sky, but I felt that he was underused in this movie. He is only seen a few times in the movie, which I feel is a shame. He is a great actor and fighter and I think his character should have had more screen time. Last, but not least, is Ton Leung and Maggie Cheung. I though they did a really good job as Broken Sword and Flying Snow respectfully. I thought they had great chemistry and they also worked well in combination with Jet Li’s character. All the other characters in the movie were good. I did not see any that I did not like and I believe that is one of the reasons that I was able to get into the movie, despite the mess the story could be sometimes. The only reason that the characters got an 8 instead of a 10 was the small role they gave Donnie Yen, but otherwise a really good line up.

Fights :(7/10) This is one of the parts I did not really like that much. I am not a real big fan of Wukia style fighting. It is OK, but I just can’t get into it. This movie did have a few fights I was interesting in. One was the fight between Jet Li and Donnie Yen, which was great to see. It could have been a bit longer, but it was fun to watch anyways. The second fight was Nameless and Flying Snow Versus the Qin Army. This fight was really entertaining to watch. The best part was when the army released a volley of arrows and nameless and Flying Snow use graceful techniques to dispatch every one of the arrows. I also liked the fight between Broken Sword and Flying Snow versus the Qin army. This fight between the two assassin’s and the Qin army was not very long, but it’s something that was great to watch. With shields and weapons being busted and a trail of bodies, this is the best fight to me next to the battle between Nameless and Flying Snow and the Qin army. The last fight I like to talk about is between Flying Snow and Moon. This fight its self is not that great, but the way the film makers integrate the environment into the fight is great, I will talk about it more when I get to the graphics section of my review.

Music:(8/10) I can’t remember much about the music, but it seemed okay and helped set the mood the film was going for.

Graphics :(10/10) This movie is awesome to look at. With the ever changing environments like the Lake, desert, palace, and my favorite the field of trees(which I will talk about in a minute) it is really nice to look out. Now about the field of trees, I am having a difficult time describing how great it was. To really understand how great it is, it is the setting for the fight between Flying Snow and Moon (I hope I have the right character). The fight is ok, but it is really the setting that steals the show. With the twirling leaves and the way the leaves change color at the end of the fight is great. You have to check it out.

Conclusion: The story can be confusing, but the characters, graphics, and a few great fights more than make up for it. I would recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment